Depending on who you ask, Maryland may (or may not) be in store for an eventful winter. Just in case, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best sledding spots around the area to help you be prepared to enjoy the snow.
ARNOLD and SEVERNA PARK
- Folger McKinsey Elementary School
- 175 Arundel Beach Road, Severna Park
- Rated as a “medium”-size hill by various members of the community.
- Kinder Park
- 1001 Kinder Farm Park Road, Millersville
- Next to Kinder Road; watch out for the fence at the bottom!
- Anne Arundel Community College
- 101 College Parkway, Arnold
- Though the main entrance to AACC is closed when the college is closed for weather, prospective sledders can enter the school via College Drive (near the white farmhouse). From there, they can make their way to parking lots B and C, which make for fun sledding.
- Chartwell Golf & Country Club
- 1 Chartwell Drive, Severna Park
- A short but steep hill on the driving range
- Severna Park Middle School
- 450 Jumpers Hole Road, Severna Park
- A nice and small hill for the little ones.
- Elvaton Park
- 311 Dogwood Road, Millersville
- Tick Neck Park
- 7750 Edwin Raynor Boulevard, Pasadena
If the roads are safe and you’re up for a drive:
- Quiet Waters Park
- 600 Quiet Waters Park Road, Annapolis
- Sledding and ice skating.
- Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts
- 801 Chase Street, Annapolis
- The hill behind Maryland Hall in Annapolis is a regular gathering spot for young sledders. There is plenty of open space, but this spot can also attract a crowd.
- Federal Hill
- 300 Warren Avenue, Baltimore
- Sledding on this steep hill also provides iconic views of the city.
- Oregon Ridge State Park
- 13401 Beaver Dam Road, Cockeysville
- This state park is filled with opportunities to hike, cross-country ski and sled. Years ago, it was home to a ski resort; the hill is still a popular spot for sledding.
- Centennial High School
- 4300 Centennial Lane, Ellicott City
- With lots of open space and a large hill that starts steep, has a midpoint drop, then eases to a gradual decline, this sledding spot is popular with sledders of all ages.
PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY
- UM Laurel Medical Center
- 7300 Van Dusen Road, Laurel
- Ridgely Middle School
- 121 East Ridgely Road, Lutherville-Timonium
- This is a go-to Baltimore County spot and boasts a large hill that wraps in a horseshoe.
- Baltimore County Board of Education, Greenwood Campus
- 6901 Charles Street, Towson
- Known simply as "The Hill" to some, this slope is a family-friendly hotspot on cold days. Clearly visible from Charles Street, the steep hill, which ends in a ditch, is often packed with kids of all ages and their parents.