No, No, Bad Dog!


Dogs attacks on other domestic animals or humans are taken seriously by the Anne Arundel County Animal Care & Control agency. Anne Arundel County has laws in place to protect the public from aggressive animals. These laws can be found under Article 12, Section 4 (public safety) of the Anne Arundel County Code.

If you are bitten by an animal in the county and there is no threat to the public’s safety, call the police on their non-emergency line: 410-222-8610. A bite report will be taken, and the information will be forwarded to Animal Care & Control, as well as to the Anne Arundel County Department of Health. Always seek medical attention when you are bitten. An animal’s mouth is dirty, and the wound can become infected if left untreated. If the bite is severe, you may need stitches. Domestic animals that inflict bites to humans are required to quarantine for 10 days under Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene regulations.

If an animal-on-animal attack has occurred, Animal Care & Control should be contacted at 410-222-8900. There are Animal Care & Control officers within that agency who are assigned to investigate these offenses.

If there is a dog in your community that is known to act aggressively, it is important to report it to the agency. At times, people within a community do not want to report their neighbor’s pet behaving badly. Such hesitancy, however, may come at a price when that dog severely injures a child or someone’s beloved pet. An Animal Care & Control officer can speak with the owner, advising him or her of the neighbor’s concerns and how to better manage the dog so that it can become a better canine citizen in the community.

Animal Care & Control also protects the family pets of Anne Arundel County. There are strict guidelines that must be followed to house animals outdoors. Severe weather alerts enhance these laws, whether it be for excessive heat or cold. Animal Care & Control also investigates animal cruelty. If you suspect someone is abusing or neglecting their pet, you can contact Animal Care & Control to report it. It will be investigated by one of the agency’s officers.

On Animal Care and Control’s website,, you can find information about the agency, other animal laws, animal adoption, licensing your pet, frequently asked questions, hours of operation, and programs and services offered through Animal Care & Control.

Animal Care & Control does not handle civil matters. If you or a family member are injured in a dog attack, you will have many questions. You should consult with an attorney who is familiar with this area of the law, who will assist you in making informed decisions and who will make sure that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled.

If you need further information regarding this subject, contact The Law Office of David V. Diggs LLC, located at 8684 Veterans Highway, Suite 204, in Millersville, by calling 410-244-1189 or by emailing


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment