August 21, 2014Sports
By Colin MurphyMany of the United Kingdom’s finest young lacrosse players left their homes in northwest England this summer in search of a challenging lacrosse experience, some authentic Americana and the memories that come from forming lifelong friendships.
Naturally, the perfect place to find all of that...
By Colin MurphySeverna Park served as the epicenter of Maryland youth rugby on July 26 and 27 as Green Hornets Rugby hosted the 2014 Rugby Maryland Youth Tournament at Kinder Park.
- Photo courtesy of Christina Dennison / Despina B PhotographyU9 Green Hornets co-captain Parker Smith carried the ball past a defender as teammates Chloe Gamber, Ashton Christallo and Braden Albrecht followed in support.
- Photos courtesy of Christina Dennison / Despina B PhotographyThe U9 Green Hornets’ Braden Albrecht races down the field with the ball, getting support from teammates (l-r) Toby Espinoza, Jaden Perez and Ashton Christallo.
- Photo courtesy of Jerry CalzadoMichael Morrison (center) and Ryan Harrington.
- Photo courtesy of Christina Dennison / Despina B PhotographyThe Green Hornets U9 rugby team went 2-1 in Saturday play at the 2014 Rugby Maryland Youth Tournament at Kinder Park.
The annual tournament is the biggest youth rugby event in Maryland each year and serves as the de facto state championships. This...
- Photo courtesy of Christina Dennison / Despina B Photography
By Colin MurphyWater polo made its mark in Severna Park this summer thanks to the well-received and much-enjoyed efforts of the Navy Aquatic Club Water Polo Program, which held several Learn To Play Water Polo days for area kids and swim teams at multiple community pools and will continue to offer opportunities...
- Aidan McIntyre, 6, of Severna Park tried to get the ball over the outstretched arms of a defender during Navy Acquatic Club’s Learn To Play Water Polo Day at Whitehurst this July.
- Meghan West, 9, of Severna Park corralled a loose ball during a Learn To Play Water Polo day held by Navy Acquatic Club at Whitehurst.
By Colin MurphyThe CFR Squeeze fast-pitch softball team, made up of players from Broadneck, Severna Park, Meade and Howard High Schools, finished as finalists in the United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) 18U Mid Atlantic Recreation Open over the weekend of July 12-13 at Centennial Park in Ellicott...
- Photo courtesy of Matthew KubalThe CFR Squeeze, comprised of players from Severna Park, Broadneck, Meade and Howard High Schools, finished as finalists in the United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) 18U Mid Atlantic Recreation Open over the weekend of July 12-13 at Centennial Park in Ellicott City.
- Photo courtesy of Matthew KubalThe Squeeze’s Brittney Barlow defended home plate and made a crucial out to save a run in a game the CFR girls went on to win against the SYC Storm, 4-3, in the USSSA Fast Pitch World Series in early August.
- Photo courtesy of Matthew KubalLibbie French handled a bunt to end the inning against the St. Hugh Saints. The Squeeze went on to finish fifth in the USSSA Fast Pitch World Series.
- Photo courtesy of Matthew Kubal
By Rachel WallenOne came from a dodgeball game at youth group in eighth grade. The second was a hit three months later on the lacrosse field that led to memory loss and a hospital stay. The third, an elbow to the face during a soccer game.
When seventeen-year-old Drew Griffith, a rising senior at Rockbridge Academy in Millersville, was hit by a car while riding his bike home from work in July 2014, his fourth concussion, though a freak accident, caused his doctors to question whether he can safely participate in athletics ever again.
Griffith is not alone. One in five high school athletes will suffer a concussion at some point in their high school careers, and 3.8 million concussions were reported in the...
By AnonymousThe Greater Severna Park Athletic Association 12U Green Hornets baseball club season ended this summer with the Orioles claiming a dramatic 13-12 victory over the Yankees in the playoff championship at Kinder Park.
Throughout the regular season the Orioles and the Yankees were two of the top teams...
By Colin MurphyThe Severna Park Green Hornets 10U baseball club Twins capped a stellar year with two championships.
First, the Twins took care of business against the 10U White Sox, notching a 17-7 victory on June 21 to claim the Green Hornets club baseball championship.
The following day, the Twins hosted the...
By Colin MurphyOn August 4, State Senator Ed Reilly and Delegate Cathy Vitale presented a resolution from the Maryland General Assembly to Severna Park girls cross country and track coach Ed Purpura, who coached his 100th season of girls athletics in Anne Arundel County this past spring.
- Photo by Erin O'NeillEd Purpura (center) was joined by State Senator Ed Reilly (back), Delegate Cathy Vitale (blue dress) and members of the Severna Park cross country and track teams when Purpura was honored for his 100 seasons coaching cross country and track teams in Anne Arundel County.
In over 30 years of...
- Photo by Erin O'Neill
By Rachel WallenSevern River Swim Team brought home the top prize at the 24th annual County Invitational Swim Meet, hosted by SPY Swim Team in Severna Park.
The County Invitational brings swimmers from summer pools all across the county together to compete, providing the only opportunity for pools in different...
By Colin MurphyAfter combining players from Green Hornets sixth- and seventh-grade spring select teams, Severna Park’s Swarm U13 boys lacrosse team completed a superb summer season, going 9-3 overall in multiple tournaments against top competition from Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, North Carolina...
By Colin MurphyAfter competing with their respective club teams in previous seasons, the 11U Green Hornets had a strong first season competing as a travel baseball team, going 11-3 overall to finish in first place in the Anne Arundel County league.
Manned by Justin Young, Jack Muldoon, Cole Kraycik, Tyler...
By Colin MurphyPlaying its second season together, the Bay Area Lacrosse 2019 team produced an outstanding summer, going 18-6-1 overall and winning the tournament championship at the prestigious All American Showacase in Downingtown, Pennsylvania in mid-June.
The Bay Area Lacrosse 2019’s went 4-0 in...
By Colin MurphyThe Severna Park Fury U14 boys soccer team followed a successful spring season by going 4-0 and winning the top flight of the Kirkwood Premier Boys Tournament championship in Kirkwood, Delaware, over the weekend of June 14-15.
In four games in the Gold flight of the tournament, the Fury had six...
By Colin MurphyNate Zollinger’s trophy collection is growing at a rapid pace.
Zollinger, 7, a resident of Millersville and student at Glen Burnie Park Elementary School, has excelled on the local, regional and national BMX racing circuit this summer.
Over the weekend of June 6-8, Zollinger took home first...
By Colin MurphyIt has been a fantastic season so far for the 11U Severna Park Green Hornets select baseball team.
At 23-1 in the Mid-Atlantic Baseball Association and 32-5 overall, the Green Hornets won the regular-season league title and have been dominant throughout the spring and summer.
Severna Park has...
By Colin MurphyIn only the second year of Old Mill Youth Association lacrosse, the Patriots’ Junior C girls lacrosse team earned the organization a county championship.
The Old Mill Junior C girls captured the title on June 18 at Northeast High School, defeating the Green Hornets Landsharks, 10-9.
By Colin MurphyThe Integrity Lacrosse 2019 Green girls lacrosse team put forth a dominant performance at the Rock the Fields tournament in Bel Air in mid-June, going 8-0 over the two-day event and winning the tournament championship.
The Integrity girls topped a field of 54 teams in winning the tournament title...
By ProvidedThe Severna Park U16 Tsunami girls soccer team won the Columbia Invitational Tournament over Memorial Day Weekend. The Tsunami are Maddie Schreimreif, Lily Streaker, Lauren McDermott, Carson Gregg, Ola Piasecki, Taylor Courtney, Megan Duffy, Bella Schenk, Molly Derlink, Ryan Hussey, Maura Booz,...
By ProvidedOn June 21 in front of Ocean City’s famous boardwalk, the Severna Park U11 Vipers boys soccer team went 4-0 to capture the team’s third consecutive Beach 5 Sand Soccer Series Tournament championship. The Vipers’ title run was complete with a come-from-behind, 3-2 victory over...
By Colin MurphyIt was a successful first season for the Green Hornets 2nd-grade boys select lacrosse team. At 8-2 in regular-season play in the Anne Arundel County Rake League, the Green Hornets not only excelled in competition but also learned the value of dedicated practice, commitment to the team and...
By Colin MurphyOn June 8 at Garrison Forest School in Baltimore, the SPark field hockey U16s completed an undefeated, 10-0-2 season to finish tied for first in the table in the inaugural season of Junior Premier Outdoor League.
The JPOL, sanctioned by USA Field Hockey, was formed this season to meet the need for...